MY COOKBOOK & KITCHENWARE: https://www.nourishin5.com
Time: Prep: 10 minutes | Bake Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 12 sausage rolls
- 1 cup (100g) nuts and/or seeds of choice (I use almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 apple, grated, skin on or off
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed and diced discard sprig
- 1 sprig thyme, remove leaves discard the sprig
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry or normal puff pastry
- Optional to decorate: almond milk or olive oil and handful sesame seeds
- To serve: tomato sauce, mustard
- Blend nuts into flour consistency in a food processor. Then blend in chickpeas, tomato paste, tamari and nutritional yeast until combined, it will look like sausage filling!
- Heat a pan with olive oil over medium heat, then cook onion, garlic, rosemary and thyme until softened and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Stir through apple.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.. Combine both mixtures in a bowl to create the filling, then add onto one side of the puff pastry rectangle, leaving a 1cm edge gap on all 4 sides. Fold pastry over and press edges together with fingers to securely pack in the filling. Optional to brush the top of the sausage roll with olive oil or almond milk and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Slice into about 8 rolls and bake for 30 minutes until golden and crispy!