MY COOKBOOK & KITCHENWARE: https://www.nourishin5.com
- 160 ml Aquafaba (the water from 1 tin of chickpeas)
- Optional: 1 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (40g) sugar (I use coconut sugar)
- 150g dark chocolate, melted (I use sugar-free dark chocolate)
- Drain the liquid of the chickpeas into a large bowl using a strainer (reserve the chickpeas for another use, such as my Saucy Coconut Spiced Chickpeas)
- Add vanilla, salt and sugar to liquid. In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer with double beater attachments, whip until stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the whipped aquafaba until smooth and combined.
- Spoon the mousse into a bowl and let thicken in the fridge for at least one hour. Serve with chocolate shavings and raspberries.
WHY CAN’T I GET MY AQUAFABA TO FORM STIFF PEAKS?
There could be several reasons:
Not whipping the aquafaba long enough – you should whip them for at least 10 minutes.
If you’ve cooked your own chickpeas, maybe the aquafaba isn’t concentrated enough – reduce it slightly by cooking off some of the liquid.
Sometimes, adding a pinch of cream of tartar helps (it acts like a stabilising agent).