MY COOKBOOK & KITCHENWARE: https://www.nourishin5.com
Time: Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 15 minutes | Total: 30 minutes (not including soaking cashew time)
- 2/3 cup (100g) raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup (15g) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black salt (Kala Namak)
- 1 cup (240ml) almond milk
- 1/2 pack (~9oz/250g) spaghetti (dry weight)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- 250g/9oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 tsp soy or Tamari sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- Carbonara: Soak cashews in a bowl of water overnight, or alternatively boil for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse the cashews then blend with the water and nutritional yeast until smooth and creamy.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Reserve the pasta water.
- Mushrooms: Whilst the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat and sauté the mushrooms until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir through the garlic.
- Stir through the cashew cream and pasta to the pan. If the sauce is too thick, add some of the pasta water, and if it is too thin, cook longer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and top with coconut bacon!
- Coconut Bacon: Preheat oven to 160C/325F. Mix together all wet ingredients until smooth and combined, then stir through coconut flakes until evenly coated. Spread out evenly on a baking mat and bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.