MY COOKBOOK & KITCHENWARE: https://www.nourishin5.com
- 360 g (2 cups) raw white rice (short-grain or Japanese rice), washed and drained
- 240 g (1 cup) water, room temp
- 45 g (3 Tbsp) coconut oil or vegan butter (or neutral tasting oil like vegetable oil)
- 6g (1 tsp) salt
- 25g (2 tbsp) coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 7g (2¼ tsp) instant yeast
- Cover rice in water and soak overnight
- Drain rice well and add to a high-speed blender along with all ingredients, yeast last. Blend until very, very fine, about 2-3 mins; unblended grains will sink to the bottom, causing problems in the rising / baking process. The batter should be warm, about 40C/105 F, no warmer.
- Pour the batter into a greased and lined bread pan. Make sure to pour the batter to about 3/4 of the way only. Spritz the top with water to prevent drying out.
- Cover and proof at 40C (I use my oven’s lowest temp) until 1½ times the original size. Take the pan out and preheat the oven to 190C/375 F. As soon as the batter rises to nearly 2 times the original size, bake uncovered for 35-40 mins, or until golden-brown on top. Be sure to spritz the top with water every now and then, as the rice batter is highly prone to drying-out.
- Once baked, place the loaf onto a wire rack to cool. It’s best fresh, but can last a few days in the fridge.