Red Velvet Brownies with a secretly healthy ingredient…beetroot!
You’ll never guess these brownies are full of fibrous and nutritious vegetables.
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 1/4 cup Rolled Oats (190g)
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder or Raw Cacao Powder (17g)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted (50g)
- 1/3 cup Milk of Choice (50g)
- 1/3 cup Liquid Sweetener of Choice (Maple Syrup, Agave, Honey if not vegan) (65g)
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 medium Cooked Beetroot (80g)
- 1/2 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed (can sub with chickpeas) (75g)
- 1/2 cup Vegan White Chocolate Chips, plus more for topping (do not omit)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F. Blend the oats in a food processor until they have formed a “flour”, then process the rest of the dry ingredients until combined.
- Add oil, milk, sweetener, vinegar, vanilla extract to the food processor until combined.
- Add the beetroot and the beans and blend until the mixture has formed a thick brownie batter.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a greased and lined small brownie pan, tapping the pan to even out the batter, sprinkle choc chips on top if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
I normally purchase cooked beetroot. If you have raw beetroot, the most flavoursome way to prepare it is to bake it. Preheat oven to 200°C. Wrap a clean, unpeeled beetroot in foil and bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer can easily be inserted into the flesh. Unpeel.