These Raw Blueberry Hot Cross Buns are a delicious, antioxidant-rich and protein-packed alternative for traditional hot cross buns! It’s so easy to whip up with a few basic ingredients, and it requires no baking, keeping nutrients intact. It’s a great little nutritious treat for Easter, and although each ‘bun’ may be small, it’s quite rich and satisfying!
I used blueberries instead of sultanas as it’s full of fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and its rich phytonutrient content supports heart health, reducing the total amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease.
To boost the protein content and keep you fuller for longer, I used WelleCo Nourishing Plant Protein which is a combination of organic pea and rice protein, providing all 9 essential amino acids in a plant-based vegan protein. Since the recipe is raw, it keeps the digestive enzymes intact to boost metabolism and balance blood sugar levels for a lean body. I recommend vegan protein as it is free from heavily processed whey protein, synthetics, artificial sweeteners, wheat, dairy and soy. It promotes a healthy gut pH balance which equals less bloating and a flatter tummy.
If you try this recipe please tag me @AMYLEEACTIVE, I’d love to see it!
Serves: 10 mini buns
Hot Cross Bun ingredients
- 1 cup almonds (153g)
- 1/2 cup pecans (56g)
- 1/4 cup vegan vanilla protein powder (30g) (I use WelleCo Nourishing Protein)
- ½ – ¼ cup maple syrup (to taste) (50g)
- 2 dates, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp milk of choice, as needed
- 1 tsp psyllium husk
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest of 1 orange or lemon
- ¼ cup dried blueberries (50g)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Water, as needed
- Buns: Process almonds and pecans in food processor until it forms crumbs. Add all other ingredients except dried blueberries to the processor and combine until mixture is firm enough to roll into balls, adding milk if needed. Mix through dried blueberries.
- Shape mixture into balls (about 1 heaped tablespoon) and press gently onto a tray lined with baking paper into a mini hot cross bun shape. Set in fridge.
Cross: blend all the cross ingredients until smooth, adding water as needed to get the desired consistency. Drizzle crosses on the buns and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 week or in the freezer for a few months.
*For the cross, you can also alternatively use 1/4 cup white chocolate, melted (Loving Earth Caramel Chocolate goes well)