This grain-free, refined sugar-free banana bread is full of fibre and flavour. The flaxseed is used to boost nutrition, however you can use an extra egg if you wish.
- 4 Eggs or 5 Egg Whites or 4 Flax/Chia Eggs*
- 2 Ripe Bananas (306g) (plus an optional extra one for decorating) (300g)
- 3/4 cup Maple Syrup (160g) (or Sweetener of choice – Natvia Icing Mix for lower sugar)
- ½ cup Coconut Oil, melted (90g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 cup Coconut Flour, sifted (115g)
- 1 cup Almond Meal (120g)
- 1 ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- Optional: Just under 1 cup Walnuts or Pecans, roughly chopped (80g), or 1/3 cup Dark Chocolate (110g)
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Soak flaxseed with 2 tbsp of water. Set aside for 5 minutes to soak.
- In a food processor, combine all wet ingredients.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl except the nuts, and fold in the wet mixture. Stir through nuts.
- Pour batter into a greased 1.5L baking pan. Halve decorative banana horizontally and press into the top of the batter. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes in the pan.
*60g Flax/Chia soaked in double the amount of water.