One of my favourite EVER Meal Prep recipes, a High Protein Frittata that’s only 5 ingredients! A few simple swaps make this freezer-friendly meal MUCH healthier than the traditional version!
I use egg whites instead of whole eggs, loads of veggies, and low fat cheese – make sure to buy the cheese in a block rather than pre-shredded; not only is it cheaper, it’s also tastier and doesn’t contain any additives (more often than not pre-shredded cheese uses fillers and preservatives to prevent it from sticking together).
Budget tips: purchase pure egg whites in the carton (you can find these in carton form in the refrigerated egg section or frozen aisle in plastic) rather than purchasing whole eggs and wasting the yolk.
Purchase a massive block of cheese, and shred it on the grater attachment of a food processor or by hand, and freeze in batches!
500g cheese block costs $6 whilst 500g of shredded cheese costs $8
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and/or 1/2 onion, chopped
- About 3 cups veggies of choice (I like spinach, tomatoes, capsicum , mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp dried or fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 carton (500g) egg whites, or 8-10 eggs
- Optional: 2/3 cup low fat shredded cheese
- 3/4 tsp salt & 1/tsp pepper
- Heat an oven-proof pan over medium-high heat. Grease pan with olive oil and cook onion for about 3 minutes until golden brown. Add veggies, thyme and a little pinch of salt and pepper. Stirring frequently, cook for 6-7 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F. Spread veggies evenly in pan and sprinkle with shredded cheese if using, reserving 2 tbsp for the topping. Pour the egg whites evenly over the top. Sprinkle with the extra shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until filling is set and no longer jiggles. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before slicing and serving. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezing Instructions: freezes well, up to 2 months. Thaw overnight and bake at 175°C/350°F to warm up for about 10 minutes.
Cheese: Use your favourite like mozzarella, cheddar, oat cheese, feta, gouda, etc. If you aren’t watching your calories too much, increase to about 3/4 – 1 full cup. 1 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese would be amazing on top!