This Chunky Monkey Protein Granola is inspired by the famous Ben & Jerry’s Icecream flavour that combines the deliciousness of peanut butter, banana and chocolate. However, this healthy recipe is vegan, low-sugar, packed full of protein and wholesome, nourishing ingredients! I have used WelleCo Vegan Protein in vanilla flavour for this recipe.
Not to mention, this granola is a delicious, satisfying and crunchy breakfast or snack that will boost your mood. Furthermore, the granola will also give you sustained energy all day.
Beware of granola in supermarkets!
Commercial granola is often touted as a health food. But many of the popular brands are no better than sugary cereal. You’d be better off eating a candy bar! Furthermore, even the U.S. government has officially categorized granola as a “grain-based dessert” alongside cakes and cookies. Also, an unhealthy, sugary breakfast or snack can leave you feeling tired and sluggish. It’s always best to D.I.Y., and my granola only has 6g of natural sugars from fruit per serve. (Click to the right for full nutritional info).
The recipe requires NO oil, just some all-natural peanut butter or almond butter!
The recipe is great to prepare for busy weeks ahead as it keeps well in the freezer. It’s definitely one of my favourite sweet recipes to date; it’s great to have available at all times. I really hope you love it as much as I do.
Check out more healthy dessert recipes here.
Share the love!
Tag me on Instagram, @AMYLEEACTIVE if you create this Chunky Monkey Protein Granola recipe, I’d absolutely love to see your creations! 🙂
Time: 20 min
Serves: 14 (1/2 cup each serving)
- 2 cups rolled oats (240g)
- 1 cup shredded coconut (50g)
- 1 cup walnuts (or nuts/seeds of choice) (125g)
- 1/2 cup vegan vanilla protein powder (or chocolate) (45g) (I use WelleCo Nourishing Protein)
- 1/2 cup powdered sweetener of choice (80g) (I use Natvia)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt (to taste)
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 200g)
- 1/8 cup maple syrup or honey (60g)*
- 3 tbs almond butter or peanut butter, melted (or more banana for lower fat) (60g)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (80g), optional
- 1/2 cup banana chips or dried banana, optional
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / 340 F. Line a baking tray with greased baking paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together (except the chocolate chips), then add all the wet ingredients, and stir until the mixture is combined and moist.
- Pour granola onto prepared baking pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake granola for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and stir. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, it will harden as it cools. When cooled, stir in choc chips and banana chips if using. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
TIP: Serve with non-fat greek yoghurt or milk for an extra protein hit!
*Adding syrup will make the granola crunch better, but you can substitute for more sweetener if you prefer.
Macros: 228kcal / 7P / 19C / 13F