Easy, healthy and low-fat Protein Pizza Scrolls! Baked to perfection without the grease of traditional pizza in the Décor Thermostone. The secret to this protein-packed recipe is not just in the choice of a lean protein filling, but in the dough which is made with Lupin Flakes, one of the highest sources of plant-based protein and pre-biotic fibre combined. This gluten-free legume is also full of micronutrients.
Watch the recipe video here!
- 1 tsp oil
- 200g lean protein of choice (chicken/beef/turkey mince, tofu)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cups flour (wholemeal, GF all-purpose, bread flour) (145g)
- 1/2 cup lupin flakes (70g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup non-fat Greek yoghurt (180g)
- A couple tablespoons of water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste or sugar-free tomato sauce (200g)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables of choice (e.g. roughly chopped spinach, finely chopped broccoli, diced red capsicum)
- 1 cup low fat Mozzarella (250g)
- 2 egg whites, whisked (60g)
- 1/2 cup herbs, roughly chopped (coriander, basil)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF and grease a baking tray.
- Mexican mince: Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring for 3 minutes or until onion is softened. Add mince, stirring and breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, for 8 minutes or until browned. Add seasonings. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Pizza Dough: Whisk together flour and lupin in a large bowl, then add yoghurt and mix with a wooden spoon until mixture comes together into a dough. Roll onto a generously floured bench and knead for a few minutes until smooth. Add a little more yoghurt or water if the mixture is too dry or a little extra flour if the mixture is too wet.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a rectangle until 0.5cm thick. Spread dough with tomato paste, leaving 1cm of dough bare at one end. Sprinkle over vegetables, protein, and cheese. Season.
- Brush egg whites onto the bare 1cm dough, then pour over the rest of the egg whites evenly over the toppings to seal.
- Roll the dough from the opposite end of the 1cm strip. Cut into 4cm pieces and place into the baking tin, squishing together. Sprinkle with extra cheese and oregano if desired. Place into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving. Wrap each scroll individually and keep in a container in the fridge for up to one week. Also keeps in the freezer.
Tip: - Vegan substitutes:
- Vegan Cheese brands: Greenvie, Cheesely
- Yoghurt: Coconut Yoghurt
- Protein fillings: falafel, tofu, tempeh, black beans
- Egg white substitutes: chia eggs, flax eggs